Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer & Winter in Taos, New Mexico

I spent the last two weeks in Taos, New Mexico, weaving and sewing in an old adobe house overlooking Taos valley and the local mountains.   The picture below was taken in the evening as the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over the valley.  My mother always called this time of day, "golden glow time," and I can't think of a better name.

Later that evening...
 It was wonderful having time to work uninterrupted.  My first project was a cushion cover for a small storage bench.  I wove the fabric last year, but was unhappy with the overall look of the fabric.  It was too "pinkish", so I over-dyed it with tangerine Rit dye.  I like it a lot now, and it works with the other colors in the room.

The weave structure is four harness, four block, summer and winter.   I have enough fabric left to make two pillow tops and will use a red faux suede for the welting and backs.  Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment